Browse Entries

Corporate entry The South Australian Institute (1856 - 1940)

From
1856
To
1940
Functions
Library and Museum

Summary

The South Australian Institute was founded in 1856 by the newly formed Government of South Australia. The South Australian Institute served as a public library, museum and art gallery. The first parts of the collection was handed over from the South Australian Mechanics Institute. The first curator was Frederick George Waterhouse appointed in 1859 after the construction of the South Australian Institute building was completed. In 1940 a separate Museum Department within the Public Service was created.

Timeline

 1856 - 1940 The South Australian Institute
       1940 - South Australian Museum

Related People

Published resources

Journal Articles

  • Hale, H. M., 'The First Hundred Years of the Museum, 1856-1956', Records of the South Australian Museum, vol. 12, 1956, pp. 1-225. Details
  • King, John K., '1856 and All That: Recent History of the South Australian Museum, Part 4', Friends of the South Australian Museum, vol. 19, no. 2, 1987, pp. 3-9. Details
  • Ling, John K., '1856 and All That: Recent History of the South Australian Museum: Part 2: 1956-1966', Friends of the South Australian Museum, vol. 17, no. 2, 1986, pp. 3-7. Details
  • Ling, John K., '1856 and All That: Recent History of the South Australian Museum: Part 3: 1967-1976', Friends of the South Australian Museum, vol. 28, no. 1, 1987, pp. 3-9. Details
  • Pring, A., 'The mineral collections of the South Australian Museum', Australian Journal of Mineralogy, vol. 6, 2000, pp. 59-70. Details
  • Ziedler, W., 'The Flora and Fauna of South Australia Handbooks Committee: 10 March 1921 - 30 October 2001', Records of the South Australian Museum, vol. 35, 2002, pp. 91-6. Details

Newspaper Articles

Elizabeth Daniels