Biographical entry Anderson, Denis L
Denis L Anderson has made significant contributions to apiology focusing on Honey Bee's. Denis Anderson's work has included the discovery, naming and description of a number of Honey Bee pests including the mite's Tropilaelaps mercedasae and Varroa destructer. Other work to determine the causes of specific disorders in certain bee populations and the biology of invasive bee species has contributed greatly to Australian biosecurity.
Denis Anderson founded Bees Down Under in 2012 an organisation that aimed to provide information and support research on Australian Honeybees and native bees. Prior to this role he spent time as a Principal Research Scientist, then Research Fellow at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Industry (CSIRO) Ecosystem Sciences, a Research Fellow at the Australian National University and a Research Scientist at DSIR (Department of Scientific and Industrial Research) New Zealand. In 2014 Denis Anderson began work with the Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority, UAE (United Arab Emirates).
In addition to these positions Denis Anderson has received a number of awards including the Goodacre Award from the Australian Beekeeping Industry in 2005, and the CSIRO Entrepreneurship Award in 2007.
- 1985 - 1989
- Career position - Research Scientist, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) New Zealand
- 1989 - 2004
- Career position - Research Fellow, Australian National University
- 1989 - 2012
- Career position - Principal Research Scientist, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Industry (CSIRO)
- c. 2005
- Award - Goodacre Award, Australian Beekeeping Industry
- Award - Entrepreneurship Award, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Industry (CSIRO)
- 2012 -
- Career position - Director, Bees Downunder Pty Ltd Australia
- 2012 - 2015
- Career position - Research Fellow, Ecosystem Science, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Industry (CSIRO)
- 2014 -
- Career position - Scientist, Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- CSIRO Annual Report 2005 - 06, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), 2006. Also available at https://csiropedia.csiro.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/CSIROAnnualRept2005full_AbtCSIRO_PDF-Standard.pdf. Details
- 'CSIRO Entrepreneurship Award', in CSIROpedia, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), https://csiropedia.csiro.au/csiro-entrepreneurship-award/. Details
- 'Who we are and what we do', in Bees Downunder, Bees Downunder, c.2017, https://beesdownunder.com/our-mission/. Details
- Hannaford, Scott, Scientist strives to save honey bees, The Sydney Morning Herald, 15 September 2013, http://www.smh.com.au/national/scientist-strives-to-save-honey-bees-20130914-2trtq.html. Details
Created: 9 January 2018