Corporate entry Australian National Botanic Gardens (1949 - )
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
- Conservation or Environment and Plant Science
- Alternative Names
- Canberra Botanic Gardens (Former name)
- Clunies Ross St, Black Mountain, Australian Capital Territory
The Australian National Botanic Gardens (ABNG) manages a collection of native Australian plants, displayed for the enjoyment of visitors as well as being studied in plant classification and biology research.
Although land was set aside to create a botanic gardens in Canberra, it was not until the 1940s that the first trees were planted, and it took a further two decades until the gardens were opened to the public in 1967, with the official opening in October 1970. In 1978 the name was changed from Canberra Botanic Gardens to Australian National Botanic Gardens in recognition of the national role of the institution.
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Wrigley, J. and Fagg, M., Eucalypts: A Celebration, Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest Australia, 2010, 344 pp. Details
- Fagg, Murray, 'Australian National Botanic Gardens Australian National Botanic Gardens', Directory of Australian Botanic Gardens and Arboreta, Australian National Botanic Gardens, 2009, http://www.anbg.gov.au/chabg/bg-dir/009.html. Details
- Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-554266. Details
Created: 28 June 2012, Last modified: 8 April 2014
- Foundation and Current Supporter - Bjarne K Dahl Trust