Biographical entry Ainslie, James Percival (1899 - 1973)
- 14 August 1899
South Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- 14 January 1973
Subiaco, Western Australia, Australia
- Neurosurgeon and Surgeon
James Ainslie was a renowned surgeon who specialised in neurosurgery. He completed his studies at Melbourne University with first class honours and was subsequently appointed to a number of increasingly senior positions at the Melbourne Hospital between 1923 and 1926.
Between 1929 and 1959 Ainslie held positions at Royal Perth Hospital. He was particularly involved in the establishment of the Department of Neurosurgery there and served as its director for 8 years (1951-1959).
During World War II Ainslie undertook full-time duties at the 110th Australian General Hospital at Hollywood, Perth.
- Career position - Appointed Resident Medical Officer, Melbourne Hospital
- Education - Awarded Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery with first-class honours (University of Melbourne)
- Career position - Appointed Registrar, Melbourne Hospital
- Education - Awarded Doctor of Medicine with first-class honours (University of Melbourne)
- 1925 - 1926
- Career position - Appointed Medical Superintendent, Melbourne Hospital
- Career position - Became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (United Kingdom)
- Education - Completed Post-graduate studies in London, institution unknown.
- 1928 - 1951
- Career position - Appointed Honorary Assistant Surgeon, Royal Perth Hospital
- Career position - Became a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- 1929 - 1945?
- Career position - Served with the Australian Army Medical Corps Reserve. Full-time duties during WWII, stationed with the 110th Australian General Hospital at Hollywood, Perth
- Career position - Involved in establishing the Department of Neurosurgery, Royal Perth Hospital
- Education - Trained in Neurosurgery at Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, England
- 1948? - 1959
- Career position - Appointed head of Department of Neurosurgery, Royal Perth Hospital
- Life event - Retired from Royal Perth Hospital
- 1960 - 1973
- Career position - Director of the Western Australian Medical Board
- Griffin, Helga M., 'Ainslie, James Percival (1899-1973), Surgeon', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 13, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1993, pp. 16-17. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130019b.htm. Details
Created: 25 October 2011, Last modified: 18 November 2011