Biographical entry Boswell, Robert William McGregor (1911 - 1976)
- 30 September 1911
North Carlton, Victoria, Australia
- 17 February 1976
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Robert Boswell was Director, Weapons Research Establishment, 1958-1965 and Secretary, Department of National Development, 1965-1969. He was a member and later Chairman of the Australian Atomic Energy Commission.
Born Melbourne, 30 September 1911. Died Sydney, 17 February 1976. OBE. Educated University of Melbourne (BSc 1933, MSc 1935). Physicist, CSIR Radio Research Board 1934-36, Physicist, PMG Research Laboratories 1936-47, Fred Knight Travelling Scholar 1937-38, Radar officer, RAN, 1943-46, Telecommunications officer, Commonwealth Department of Civil Aviation 1947-48, Physicist, Weapons Research Establishment, 1948-65, Director 1958-65, Secretary, Department of National Development 1965-69, Deputy Australian High Commissioner, London 1969-72. Member Australian Atomic Energy Commission 1965-70, Chairman 1972-76.
- Lawrence, T. F. C., 'Boswell, Robert William McGregor (1911-1976), Scientist and Public Servant' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, John Ritchie, ed., vol. 13 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1993), pp. 225-226. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130256b.htm. Details
- '[Obituary]: Boswell, R W McGregor', Atomic Energy in Australia, 19 (2) (1976), 7-8. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q21537580. Details
- 'Boswell, Robert William McGregor (1911-1976)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1468511. Details
- 'Boswell, Robert William McGregor', in Physics in Australia to 1945, R.W. Home, with the assistance of Paula J. Needham, Australian Science Archives Project, June 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/physics/P001605p.htm. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_b.html. Details
- Wisdom, John, A History of Defence Science in Australia (Melbourne: Defence Science and Technology Organisation, 1995), 267 pp. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 28 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education