Biographical entry Woods, Ronald (1934 - )
- 3 November 1934
St Helens, Lancashire, United Kingdom
Ronald Woods is a chemist whose research focuses on the application of electrochemistry to mineral processing and energy storage. For over 30 years he was a research scientist with the CSIRO Division of Mineral Chemistry where his projects included the electrocatalysis of the oxidation of acetate for the paper industry and mineral flotation for the mining industry. Much of this work was in collaboration with industry and university partners. Since retiring from CSIRO in 1996 Woods has continued his collaborative research with colleagues in Australia and the United States, and as a consultant to the Australian minerals industry on sulfide mineral flotation.
- Education - BSc (hons), University of London
- Education - Graduate, Royal Institute of Chemistry, United Kingdom
- 1958 - ?
- Career position - Research Assistant, Royal Institute of Chemistry, United Kingdom
- Education - MSc, University of London
- 1960 - 1964
- Career position - Research Fellow, Analytical Department, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, U.S.A.
- Education - PhD, University of London
- 1964 - 1967
- Career position - Research Fellow, University of Melbourne
- 1967 - 1996
- Career position - Research Scientist (later Chief Research Scientist), and Research Manager, Metal Production, CSIRO Division of Mineral Chemistry
- Career position - Lecturer in electroanayltical chemistry, University of Western Australia
- 1977 - 1990
- Career position - Chair, Multidisciplinary Degree Course Advisory Committee, Ballarat College of Advanced Education
- Award - R. H. Stokes Medal, Electrochemistry Division, Royal Australian Chemical Institute
- Award - DSc, University of London
- 2002 - 2007
- Career position - Visiting Professor, School of Natural Sciences, Griffith University
- Award - Living Legend of Flotation, Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
- Award - Antoine Gaudin Award, Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, U.S.A.
- Award - Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for service to science, particularly in the field of electrochemistry
- 'Woods, Ronald', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1473636. Details
- Medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia in the General Division [Australia Day 2017: S-Z], Governor General's Office, Canberra, 2017. https://www.gg.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/honours/ad/ad2017/slkh83xzcb/OAM%20Final%20Media%20Notes%20(S-Z).pdf. Details
McCarthy, G.J. and Helen Cohn
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 12 March 2019
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education