Biographical entry Garran, Richard Randolph (1903 - 1991)
- 3 March 1903
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 8 April 1991
- Industrial chemist
Richard Garran was Senior Executive, Imperial Chemical industry. President of the Royal Society of Victoria 1961-1962.
Born 3 March 1903. Died 8 April 1991. Educated Melbourne Church of England Grammar School (Head of School, 1920); University of Melbourne, BSc 1924, MSc 1926; Ramsay Laboratory of Chemical Engineering, University College, London, Phd 1927. Staff, Alkali division, Imperial Chemical industry Ltd, England 1927-1939. Works manager, Imperial Chemical industry Alkali (Aust.) Pty Ltd, Osborne, South Australia, 1939-1950. Assistant group controller Alkali Group, Melbourne 1950-1960. Staff manager Imperial Chemical industry Australia and New Zealand Ltd, Melbourne1960-1966 (retired). Fellow, Royal Institute of Chemistry. Fellow, Royal Australian Chemical Institute, 1944. South Australian Branch President, Royal Australian Chemical Institute, 1948-49. Honorary General Secretary, Royal Australian Chemical Institute, 1954-58. President, Royal Society of Victoria 1961-62, and executive officer from 1969; gave exceptional service to the Royal Society of Victoria, working full-time for the Society until physically unable to continue. Member, the Wallaby Club 1961-1991. President, the Wallaby Club 1969.
He served well his company, his profession and the community at large in a quiet efficient manner which earned the respect and affection of us all. Len Weickhardt, FRACI, 1991.
- Weickhardt, L.W., 'Richard Randolph Garran 1903-1991', Chemistry in Australia, 58 (November) (1991), 471. Details
- 'Dr Garran farewelled by big crowd', ICIANZ Circle (1966), 3. Details
- 'Garran, Richard Randolph (1903-1991)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1475702. Details
- Science and the making of Victoria, with Royal Society of Victoria, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/smv/index_g.html. Details
- Garran, Richard Randolph Portrait
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 13 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Royal Society of Victoria