Biographical entry Doorly, James Gerald Stokely (Gerald) (1880 - 1956)
- 4 June 1880
Port of Spain, Trinidad
- 3 November 1956
Wellington, New Zealand
- Antarctic explorer and Author
Gerald Doorly was a member of the first British National Antarctic Expedition 1902-1904, as 3rd Officer on the SY Morning relief ship. He settled in Melbourne, Victoria in 1925, where he joined the Port Phillip Sea Pilots' Service. During World War II he brought troops and merchant convoys through the Rip.
Born Port of Spain, Trinidad, 4 June 1880. Died Wellington, New Zealand, 3 November 1956. Educated Thames Nautical Training College, HMS Worcester for the mercantile marine, graduating Queen's gold medallist 1897. Apprenticeship in sail 1898-1901; troop- and hospital-ship work with the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, South African War 1901-02; junior officer, SY Morning, the supply ship to Scott's Discovery on the National Antarctic Expedition 1902-04; mate's certificate 1903; master's certificate 1904; Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand 1905-25; commanded New Zealand troop transports and Admiralty colliers during World War I; Port Phillip Sea Pilot's Service 1925-45. Wrote The Voyages of the 'Morning' (1916), The Handmaiden of the Navy (1919), In the Wake (1937) and The Songs of the 'Morning' (1943), as well as short stories and articles for newspapers and magazines. Polar Medal for his work in the Morning, which freed the Discovery from the ice.
Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales
- Angus & Robertson - Records, 1824 - 1933, ML MSS 314; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
- Gerald Stokely Doorly - Records, 1901 - 1957, A3298-300; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
- Gerald Stokely Doorly - Records, c. 1915 - 1957, ML MSS 1858 and ML MSS 1445; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
- Eastwood, Jill, 'Doorly, James Gerald Stokely (1880-1956)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 8 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1981), pp. 326-327. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A080350b.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 13 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education