Published Resources Details

Conference Paper

Author
Mitchell, Leon
Title
Vivian Lewis: motor engineering in Adelaide 1898 - 1905
In
2013 South Australian Engineering Heritage Conference - Transactions
Imprint
Engineers Australia, South Australia Division, Adelaide, 2013, pp. 53-61
Abstract

Within months of the first motor vehicle exhibition in Adelaide in May 1898, a small internal combustion engine was under construction at the cycle works of Mr Vivian Lewis. Built under the supervision of Lewis works manager T P O'Grady in a modern factory in McHenry Street, now existing only as a laneway to give access from Gawler Place to the old Adelaide Stock Exchange building, South Australia's first petrol engine was called on to drive first a lathe, then a "triplet" (a three-person bicycle), a tandem, and finally the colony's first motor car which took to the streets in November 1900. This paper explores the mix of expertise and capabilities that were required to launch the motor industry in South Australia, and the first rise and fall of motor manufacturing in the state more than 100 years ago.

Related Published resources

isPartOf

  • 2013 South Australian Engineering Heritage Conference - Transactions edited by Venus, Richard (Adelaide: Engineers Australia, South Australia Division, 2013), 89 pp. Details

EOAS ID: bib/ASBS16103.htm

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
What do we mean by this?

Published by Swinburne University of Technology.
This Edition: 2025 February (Kooyang - Gariwerd calendar - late summer - season of eels)
Reference: http://www.bom.gov.au/iwk/calendars/gariwerd.shtml#kooyang
For earlier editions see the Internet Archive at: https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.eoas.info

The Encyclopedia of Australian Science and Innovation uses the Online Heritage Resource Manager (OHRM), a relational data curation and web publication system developed by the eScholarship Research Centre and its predecessors at the University of Melbourne 1999-2020. The OHRM has been maintained by Gavan McCarthy since 2020.

Cite this page: https://www.eoas.info/bib/ASBS16103.htm

"... the rengitj, as a visible mark or imprint on the land, is characterised as a place of origin, the repository of all names, as well as a kind of mapped visual expression of the connection between people and places which is to be carried out in the temporal sequence of the journey." Fanca Tamisari (1998) 'Body, Vision and Movement: In the footprints of the ancestors'. Oceania 68(4) p260