Biographical entry Holmes, Edward Charles (1965 - )
- 26 February 1965
- Evolutionary biologist and Virologist
Edward Holmes is a world-leading evolutionary biologist whose research focuses on mechanisms for virus evolution and the processes by which RNA viruses jump species boundaries and spread in new hosts. He studies the emergence and molecular epidemiology of pathogens including hepatitis C, avian influenza and dengue fever. Holmes was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science in 2015 and of the Royal Society, London, in 2017.
- Education - BSc, University College London
- Education - DPhil, University of Cambridge
- 1990 - 1991
- Career position - Postdoctoral fellow, University of California, Davis, California, U.S.A.
- 1991 - 1993
- Career position - Postdoctoral fellow, University of Edinburgh
- 1993 - 2004
- Career position - Fellow of New College and St Catherine's College, University of Oxford
- Award - Scientific Medal, Zoological Society, London
- 2005 - 2012
- Career position - Affiliate Member, Fogarty International Centre, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S.A.
- 2007 - 2012
- Career position - Verne M. Willaman Chair in the Life Sciences and Eberly College of Science Distinguished Senior Scholar, Pennsylvania State University, U.S.A.
- Award - Kavli Fellow, National Institutes of Health, U.S.A.
- Award - Fogarty International Center Director's Merit Award to the Multinational Influenza Seasonal Mortality Study Team (MISMS), National Institutes of Health, U.S.A.
- Award - Faculty Scholars Medal, Life and Health Scientific, Pennsylvania State University, U.S.A.
- 2012 -
- Award - Australian Fellowship, National Health and Medical Research Council
- 2012 -
- Career position - Faculty Member, Marie Bashir Institute for Infections Diseases and Biosecurity, Faculty of Science, University of Sydney
- 2012 -
- Career position - Professor in Biology and Medicine, University of Sydney
- Life event - Settled in Australia
- 2015 -
- Award - Fellow, Australian Academy of Science
- 2017 -
- Award - Fellow, Royal Society of New South Wales
- 2017 -
- Award - Fellow, Royal Society, London
- Award - Laureate Fellowship, Australian Research Council
- Award - New South Wales Premier's Prize for Excellence in Biological Sciences (Ecological, Environmental, Agricultural and Organismal)
- Robson, Alexandra K., Production Manager and Editor, Who's who in Australia 2019 (Southbank, Vic.: AAP Directories, 2018), 1788 pp. Details
Created: 26 March 2019