Browse Entries

Corporate entry Melbourne Veterinary College (1888 - 1909)

From
1888
To
1909
Alternative Names
  • Melbourne Veterinary School (Also known as)

Summary

In 1888 William Kendall established the Melbourne Veterinary College at his Animal Hospital in Fitzroy Melbourne, it was the first veterinary college in Australia. The college was established around the same time as the 1887 Veterinary Surgeons Act of Victoria was passed, and its curricula was designed explicitly to qualify students as registered veterinarians under this legislation. In 1909 the Melbourne Veterinary College became part of the University of Melbourne. The animal hospital where the college was originally located continued to operate until 1928.

Related People

Published resources

Book Sections

  • Albiston, Harold E., 'Kendall, William Tyson (1851-1936) and Ernest Arthur (1876-1938)', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 9, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1983, pp. 563-564. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A090562b.htm. Details

Journal Articles

  • Caple, Ivan, 'Centenary history of the Melbourne Veterinary School', Australian Veterinary History Record, vol. 60, 2011, pp. 11-17. Details
  • Cytowicz, Barbara, 'William Tyson Kendall: Veterinary Pioneer', Australasian Science, vol. 19, no. 8, 1998, p. 48. Details
  • Robertson, W. A. N., 'William Tyson Kendall and His Life Work', Victorian Veterinary Proceedings, 1970, pp. 15-23. Details

Reports

Elizabeth Daniels