Biographical entry Stanley, Gordon James (1921 - 2001)
Cambridge, New Zealand
- 17 December 2001
Carmel Valley, California, United States of America
- Engineer and Radio astronomer
Gordon Stanley joined the CSIRO Division of Radiophysics in 1944 where he became expert in the design and construction of antennas and receivers. He worked with John Bolton and Bruce Slee at the Dover Heights Field Station in Sydney on the detection of radio emissions from Cygnus and other stars. Their work was instrumental in understanding the high-energy physics of the universe and opened a new field of investigation into extragalactic radio astronomy. Stanley joined Bolton at the California Institute of Technology in 1955, later becoming Director of the Owens Valley Radio Observatory. He established a company specialising in sensor technology.
- Life event - Migrated to Australia
- 1944 - ?
- Career position - Tradesman, CSIRO Division of Radiophysics
- Education - Diploma in Engineering, Sydney Technical College
- 1945 - 1955
- Career position - Technical Assistant, CSIRO Division of Radiophysics
- 1955 - 1975
- Career position - Engineer, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
- 1960 - 1975
- Career position - Director, Owens Valley Radio Observatory, California, U.S.A
- Kellerman, Kenneth, 'Gordon James Stanley', Physics today, vol. 56, no. 2, 2003, pp. 74-5. Details
- Kellermann, K.I., Orchiston, Wayne and Slee, Bruce, 'Gordon James Stanley and the Early Development of Radio Astronomy in Australia and the United States', Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia, vol. 22, no. 1, 2005, pp. 1-11. Details
- Stanley, Gordon J., 'Recollections of John G. Bolton at Dover Heights and Caltech', Australian Journal of Physics, vol. 47, no. 5, 1994, pp. 507-516. Details
- Orchiston, Wayne and Robertson, Peter, 'The origins and development of extragalactic radio astronomy: the role of the CSIRO's Division of Radiophysics Dover Heights Field Station in Sydney', Journal of Astronomical History and Heritage, vol. 20, no. 3, 2017, pp. 289-312. Details
- Robertson, Peter, Radio astronomer: John Bolton and a new window on the universe, NewSouth Publishing, Sydney, 2017, 428 pp. Details
Created: 19 February 2019, Last modified: 14 August 2019