Biographical entry Andrews, William Charles (Bill) (1908 - 1988)
- 20 November 1908
Roslyn, Dunedin, New Zealand
- 17 April 1988
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
- Engineer, Surveying or Mapping and Town Planner
Renowned engineer and surveyor William (Bill) Charles Andrews was employed by several New South Wales Shire Councils during the mid-twentieth century as a town planner and shire engineer.
His work culminated in his appointment, by Sir John Overall, as assistant commissioner (1958-72), then commissioner (1972-74) to the national Capital Development Commission.
In this role he was responsible for many large engineering jobs in Canberra including the construction of Lake Burley Griffin and its associated dam.
In 1974 he was appointed OBE.
- Education - Achieved surveyor's license, Sydney Technical College
- 1929 - 1934
- Career position - Assistant-engineer to Ku-ring-gai Municipal Council, New South Wales
- 1934 - 1936
- Career position - Assistant-engineer and general inspector at Tenterfield Shire Council
- Career position - Shire Engineer with the Tenterfield Shire Council
- Career event - seconded to the New South Wales Department of Public Works to provide engineering advice for military projects
- 1943 - 1945
- Career position - Engineer officer then flight lieutenant, Royal Australia Air Force
- 1946 - 1950
- Career position - Senior planning officer with Cumberland County Council Regional Planning Authority
- 1950 - 1958
- Career position - city engineer and town planner with Parramatta City Council
- Award - First travelling scholarship awarded by the New South Wales Foundation for the Technical Advancement of Local Government Engineers
- 1958 - 1972
- Career position - Associate commissioner for the national Capital Development Commission
- Award - Member of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)
- 1972 - 1974
- Career position - Commissioner for national Capital Development Commission
- Award - Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Surveyors, Australia
- Poulos, Judy, 'Andrews, William Charles (1908-1988), Engineer, Surveyor and Town Planner', in Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 17, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2007, pp. 23-24. Also available at http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/andrews-william-charles-bill-12140. Details
Created: 1 February 2012, Last modified: 3 October 2012