Biographical entry Sambrook, Joseph Frank (1939 - 2019)
- 1 March 1939
- 14 June 2019
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Molecular biologist
Joseph Frank Sambrook was Director of Research at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, Melbourne and Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne from 1995 to 2001. He was internationally renowned for his studies of DNA tumour viruses and the molecular biology of normal and cancerous cells. His group at Cold Spring Harbor in New York worked out how SV40 and adenoviruses integrated themselves into the genome of the host cell. He also made major contributions to understanding intracellular traffic, protein folding and the molecular genetics of human cancer.
- Education - BSc, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom
- Education - PhD, John Curtis School of Medical Research, Australian National University
- 1966 - 1967
- Career position - Postdoctoral research, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- 1967 - 1969
- Career position - Postdoctoral research, Salk Institute, San Diego, California, U.S.A.
- 1969 - 1971
- Career position - Staff Investigator, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, U.S.A.
- 1971 - 1977
- Career position - Senior Staff Investigator, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, U.S.A
- 1977 - 1985
- Career position - Assistant Director, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, U.S.A
- Life event - Joseph F. Sambrook Laboratory dedicated at Cold Spring Harbor
- 1985 - 1991
- Career position - Professor and Chairman, Department of Biochemistry, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
- 1985 - 2019
- Award - Fellow, Royal Society, London
- 1986 - 1993
- Career position - Director, Burgher Center for Molecular Cardiology, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
- 1990 - 1994
- Career position - Chairman NIH/DOE Advisory Committee on DNA Sequencing
- 1991 - 1994
- Career position - Director, McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
- 1995 - 2001
- Career position - Director of Research, Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute
- 1995 - 2001
- Career position - Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne
- 2000 - 2019
- Award - Fellow, Australian Academy of Science
- Anon, 'Professor Joseph Frank Sambrook FAA FRS 1 March 1939 to 14 June 2019', Australian Academy of Science Newsletter, 128 (2019), 11. https://www.science.org.au/academy-newsletter. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 10 September 2019