Biographical entry Thomas, David Evan (1902 - 1978)
- 4 August 1902
- 26 November 1978
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
David Thomas spent most of his working life with the Mines Department of Victoria, retiring as Director of the Geological Survey of Victoria in 1967. He wrote a number of papers on mineral occurrences in Victoria and also a general account of the mineral deposits of the State in relation to its geological history and structure.
Born Ammanford, Wales, 4 August 1902. Died Melbourne, 26 November 1978. Educated University College of Wales (BSc with Honours in Geography and Anthropology 1923 and in Geology 1924). DSc, University of Melbourne 1940. Arrived Melbourne 1925; Headmaster, Kennedy's Creek primary school; geography master, Nhill High School; Assistant Field Geologist, Mines Department 1927-36; Field Geologist 1936-39, Senior Field Geologist in charge of Castlemaine Regional Office 1939-42; Government Geologist of Tasmania 1942-44; Geologist, State Rivers & Water Supply Commission, Victoria 1944-45, Senior Field Geologist 1945-46, Chief Government Geologist 1946-60, Director, Geological Survey of Victoria 1960-67. Clarke Memorial Lecture, Royal Society of New South Wales 1959; Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1963. President, Section C (Geology), Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science 1951.
- Talent, John A., 'Thomas, David Evan (1902-1978), Geologist', in John Ritchie and Diane Langmore (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 16, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2002, pp. 376-377. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A160456b.htm. Details
- Hills, E. S., 'David Evan Thomas (1902-1978)', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 5, no. 2, 1981, pp. 90-96. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9810520090.htm. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/36649060. Details
- 'Thomas, D E (1902-1978)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-609894. Details
- Hills, E. S., 'David Evan Thomas 1902-1978', in Australian Academy of Science Biographical Memoirs, Australian Academy of Science, 2006, http://www.science.org.au/fellows/memoirs/thomas.html. Details
- Hill, Dorothy, 'Edwin Sherbon Hills, 1906-1986', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 7, no. 1, 1987, pp. 79-95. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9870710079.htm. Details
- David Evan Thomas
Created: 29 June 1995, Last modified: 4 June 2010