Biographical entry Baragwanath, William (1878 - 1966)
- 1 August 1878
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
- 20 September 1966
Prahran, Victoria, Australia
William Baragwanath joined the Victorian Department of Mines in 1897 and was Chief Mining Surveyor 1924-1943. He accumulated much of the data on the La Trobe Valley brown-coal region, used later by the State Electricity Commission to establish the Yallourn open-cut mine and power-house.
Born Ballarat, Victoria, 1 August 1878. Died Prahran, Victoria, 20 September 1966. OBE 1952. Educated Ballarat School of Mines (geology certificate 1911). Articled land and mining surveyor, assisting with topographic and underground surveys at Maldon, Daylesford and Ballarat 1894-97; Department of Mines 1897-1922, studying part time to pass the land surveyor's and mining surveyor's examinations 1902-03; director of the geological survey 1922-24; chief mining surveyor 1924-32; secretary for mines 1932-34; chief mining surveyor 1934-43; consultant to the Department of Mines 1943-50. President, Royal Society of Victoria 1943-44, councillor of the Ballarat School of Mines 1916-50.
Victorian Department of Mines Library
- William Baragwanath - Records; Victorian Department of Mines Library. Details
- Talent, John A., 'Baragwanath, William (1878-1966), surveyor, geologist and public servant', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 7, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1979, pp. 167-168. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070170b.htm. Details
- 'Baragwanath, William (1878-1966)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-626710. Details
- Hill, Dorothy, 'Edwin Sherbon Hills, 1906-1986', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 7, no. 1, 1987, pp. 79-95. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9870710079.htm. Details
- Baragwanath, William Portrait
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 2 March 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Royal Society of Victoria