Corporate entry Armed Forces Food Science Establishment (AFFSE) (1971 - 1994)
Commonwealth Defence Science Organisation
Scottsdale, Tasmania, Australia
- Defence Research
- Reference No
- CA 6154
- Legal Status
- Agency of the Commonwealth of Australia
- Scottsdale, Tasmania
Armed Forces Food Science Establishment was established in 1971 when the Army Food Research Station underwent a name change. In 1975 the centre was under the control of the Service Laboratories and Trials Division of DSTO, then in 1982 it became part of the Materials Research Laboratories. In 1994 the establishment was renamed the Defence Food Science Centre, which was in turn renamed the Defence Nutrition Research Centre in 1997.
The Army Food Research Laboratories were established at Scottsdale, Tasmania in 1958. The Laboratories' role included research and development of foods for the three Services. Later that same year they were renamed the Defence Food Research Establishment-Vegetable Dehydration Division. In 1960 the Division was re-named The Army Food Science Establishment, which in turn was renamed the Army Food Research Station the following year.
- Richards, R. J., 'Fit to Fight: from Butter to Bullets: Defence Food Science in Australia', Food Australia, 43 (9) (1991), 415-417. Details
- 'Primary description of agency CA 6154; Defence Research Centre [Scottsdale, Tasmania], Registration of entity: 16 December 1987', in RecordSearch, National Archives of Australia, 2000, http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/SearchOld.asp?Number=CA+6154. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_a.html. Details
Created: 20 April 2000, Last modified: 3 February 2010
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects