Corporate entry Australian Mineral Development Laboratories (AMDEL) (1959 - 1990s)
Frewville, South Australia, Australia
- Industrial or scientific research, Resources, Metallurgy and Mineralogy or mining
- Legal Status
- Statutory Body formed by an Act of the South Australian Parliament in 1959.
- Business locations included: Flemington Street, Frewville, South Australia 5063 with other offices in Victoria, Queensland, Northern Territory, Western Australia, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory .
Amdel was an independent, non-profit contract research and technical consulting organisation serving the mineral and associated industries. It was a statutory body formed by an Act of the South Australian Parliament in 1959. At some point in the 1990s it ceased to exist under this name. Further detail is sought as to its fate. Amdel was funded by Australian government sources, private industry sources and foreign sources. The organisation published the Amdel Bulletin and the Amdel Annual Report
The objectives of Amdel were to provide (1) the latest facilities and advanced techniques for the analysis and evaluation of metallic and nonmetallic mineral deposits; (2) experienced scientific and support staff to carry out analysis and evaluation programs; (3) a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach to projects. The range of projects and programs supplied by Amdel included: mineral lease evaluation; exploration management; chemical, mineralogical and statistical analysis; ore reserve estimation and mine planning; laboratory and pilot-scale metallurgical evaluation; techno-economic feasibility studies; process design; project management and plant commissioning.
The University of Melbourne Archives
- Ian Munro McLennan - Records, 1937 - 1977, 78/95; The University of Melbourne Archives. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_a.html. Details
Created: 16 March 2000, Last modified: 4 July 2012
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects