Published Resources Details Conference Paper
- Reinstatement and Strengthening of the Earthquake Damaged 1894 Building at Hunter Street, Newcastle Hunter Institute of Technology
- First International and Eighth Australian Engineering Heritage Conference 1996: Shaping Our Future; Proceedings
- Institution of Engineers, Australia, Barton, Australian Capital Territory, 1996, pp. 57-61
Hunter Institute of Technology, Hunter Street, Newcastle, formerly the Technical College of the School of Mines and Museum designed by William E. Kemp, was completed in 1894. It was severely damaged by the 1989 Newcastle Earthquake. The building was repaired, stabilised and strengthened against future earthquakes by introducing concealed reinforcement within the brick walls. Stainless steel cables grouted in cored holes from parapet level to the foundation were introduced. The voids in the brickwork were filled in under pressure using a cementitious mine grout. Plywood diaphragms were introduced in the ceiling level. The walls were tied to the floor and the roof/ceiling diaphragms. The building was stabilised by retaining the original materials and without any external intrusions thus retaining its heritage significance.
Related Published resources
- First International and Eighth Australian Engineering Heritage Conference 1996: Shaping Our Future; Proceedings, Institution of Engineers, Australia, Barton, Australian Capital Territory, 1996, 210 pp, https://search.informit.com.au/browsePublication;res=IELENG;isbn=0858256614. Details